The Ontario Hockey Federation recently
released details for Phase 2 – Stage 3 of their Return to Hockey Framework. Stage 3 which will govern hockey programming for
the start our 2020-2021 season.
We know that many members are eager to
return to the ice, and we look forward to seeing you there soon!
We are currently reviewing the details of the OHF framework and engaging with other parties (OMHA, Norfolk County, etc) to answer some open questions before completing details of our Return to Hockey programming. That said, as we know many members are excited to learn what hockey may look like to start the season, please find some highlights below:
- The season will start with a first “Session”, up to 8 weeks in duration.
- Focus will be on development and exciting game play.
- Game play will include 3-on-3 or 4-on-4 hockey with new game rules to ensure safety, with 5-on-5 a later possibility if appropriate and permitted.
- U9 and younger will play cross-ice hockey and U10 and older will play full-ice.
- Teams will be smaller, likely 9 skaters and 1 goalie.
- “Tier 1” divisions will be both Major and Minor at each group.
- No tryouts. Team formation will be based on category of participation last year.
- Depending on ice availability, we hope to provide core hockey programming, as well as additional development opportunities.
- No affiliation or integration allowed between leagues.
- Players may only participate in one league/team within the OHF.
- The boundaries of our Public Health Unit will be a guideline for competition between teams.
At the direction of the OHF, there will be progression through Stage 3 programming which will allow a greater number of participants to be on the ice at one time and for the easing of travel restrictions.
Please stay tuned for more information on the registration process and fee structure, which is still being established as the programming model is finalized.
We look forward to offering an exciting (if a bit different!) hockey experience. We will share more information as soon as possible.